Artificial Insemination Can Search the Answers of Some Unexplained Questions Related to Infertility
Even before we introduce you to this process of IUI, we would like to explain the scope of this treatment first hand. IUI treatment is equally handy for the male factor and the female factor in any pregnancy. It has its utility under some conditions for both of them. For a successful act of reproduction prima facie, there are four conditions where it can help, which are as follows:
1. When the male factor is suffering because of sperm count or the motility of sperms
2. When something is wrong with the passage of vagina and fallopian tube, causing hindrance in the path of sperm
3. Endometriosis or severe male factor infertility due to its inability of having sex
4. Tubal blockage or tubal damage
When we see IUI in the realm of IVF treatments, then we find that, it is an entry level treatment. It means that if things are not that complicated, then IUI can be a great help.
What Is the Role of a Sperm Donor in the Process of IUI?
Sperm donors are required when it is a case of severe male factor infertility. If a couple finds that the malefactor of the couple is not able to supply enough goods for the purpose of fertilizations; then, in this case, a couple can hire a sperm donor. It was a trend in the past; and now, with the arrival of advanced IVF technique, it has become possible in spite of a remarkably low sperm count. A couple can own a biological child with the help of IVF. In other words, it will be safe to say that, after the arrival of IVF processes, the role of sperm donors has confined very much. If a female wants to have a kid outside the wedlock or outside any domestic commitment, then she can hire a sperm donor.
From the Animal Kingdom to Human Terrains – It Was a Long Run for IUI!
Intrauterine insemination, in principle, is a process of assisted conception. You might have heard this term before while reading about animal husbandry. According to some sources, this process was in existence even at the beginning of 20th century. In the year 1940, they started experimenting with it on human beings, and in the year 2016, if we have a look at the success rates of IUI, then we find that, it has a success rate of 10 to 20 percent of couples using it for the first time. The role of a sperm donor in IUI is limited to the supply of the sperms for the fertilization of an egg. It means a female is not required to have an intercourse with a sperm donor when she is going through the process of IUI. If we have a look at the data of current couples going for IUI processes, then we find that, in most of the cases, husbands are playing the role of sperm contributors in the process. With a passage of time, IUI too changed its face completely, and now, it is helping a couple who has some problem in conceiving because of some physical barriers.
How Does Age Play a Role in the Success or Failure of the IUI Process?
IUI success rates by age can be determined by studying the success ratio of couples belonging to various age groups. Many studies were conducted where they try to bring in couples suffering from similar problems but different age groups. Based on the data collected from these sources, we can draw a chart of its first-time success. This is not accurate data, yet they can give you a fair deal of idea.
• On 16 percent of the occasions, it is a first-time success if the female is below 35 years of age
• On 11 percent of the occasions, it is a first-time success if the female’s age is between 35-39 years
• On five percent of the occasions, it is a first-time success if the female’s age is between 40-42 years
• On one percent of the occasions, it is a first-time success if the female’s age is between 42-44 years
Here, we would like to add one more thing; we have produced data only for first time attempts. It means here we are talking about a single ovulation cycle. It is an interesting picture of IUI success on the first try. When we check out the second attempt then this success ratio shoots up considerably and makes it an easy process with good success rate.
What Is the Procedure of IUI?
When we have a look at the IUI procedure, then we find some simple steps, which are as follows:
1. The first step belongs to the preparation part; this is the part where they test the female factor for ovulation. Here they check out certain other conditions that can cause some problem in the process of IUI and pregnancy or fertilization. They also test the validity of sperms participating in the process; if something is wrong with the sperms, then it can become a roadblock in the process.
2. In the second step, they figure out the most fertile period of the female.
3. In the third step, they collect the semen from the male in a clinical environment, wash it for the purpose of fertilization, and then come to the final step, where, with the help of a catheter or some other devices, they transmit the sperms in the fallopian tube and wait for the fertilization. Now you can understand it very clearly. Deduct the first of the first three parts, the part where a couple consumes maximum time is clear, then artificial insemination cost remains at a lower level.
When we compare IUI v/s IVF equation, then we find that, IVF is a much superior and elaborated process; it is an oracle of sorts. IUI, on the other hand, is a much easier process and very effective in handling simple problems. We are using this adjective, simply because, these conditions often do not require the intervention of a high-edge process like IVF, and at the same time, things like surgery and other methods to cure fertility can become too slow. When it comes to infertility, then we all know that, every couple is in a race against time. IUI in this race is a much faster vehicle in comparison with many other methods.