What is AMH and Why Is the AMH Test Done?
AMH or the Anti-Mullerian Hormone is a protein produced in the ovarian follicles by the granulosa cells. Its primary stage cannot be detected even by the microscope and its production is the highest in the pre or small antral development stages. With the growth of follicles, the development of AMH stops. AMH level mostly remains constant and its test can be done on any of the day of the menstrual cycle of a woman. AMH Test level indicates the fertility rate in women.
What Is Ovarian Reserve and What Is the Relevance of Doing Ovarian Reserve Testing?
Ovarian Reserve is a term that determines the actual capacity of an ovary in order to produce healthy egg cells capable enough to handle fertilization and hence a healthy pregnancy. With growing age, the number of egg cells decline and this is the main reason why females at the mature age tend to face low pregnancy level. As such, there is no direct method to test the Ovarian Reserve; however, you can test it indirectly to determine the fertility rate. The quantity and the quality of egg cells are very important to test in order to determine if the women can get pregnant or not. Ovarian Reserve test checks the amount of egg cells left in the ovary.
What Is an AMH Test?
AMH test or the Anti-Mullerian Hormone test is basically done by specialists or gynecologists as a part of other tests to get the information about the ovarian reserve because just like an ovarian reserve, AMH blood level also indicates the amount of egg cells left in the ovary.
What Is the Normal AMH Level by Age?
The exact value of normal AMH levels is still not known but the approximations really help to understand the things in a better way. These values are calculated for the women under age of 35.
- Highest AMH Blood level: Over 4.0 ng/ml
- Normal AMH Level: 1.5-4.0 ng/ml
- Low Normal level: 1.0-1.5 ng/ml
- Low level: 0.5-1.0 ng/ml
- Very Low level: less than 0.5 ng/ml
More tests mean more clarity and hence these details will become clearer with the proper study of the AMH hormone level and the fertility rate.
What are the Low AMH treatments?
The AMH Level starts decreasing with age, and by the time you reach your 40s, you get considerably low AMH Levels. Through this article, we will advise some of the treatment options that can give every woman a chance to enjoy the pleasure of motherhood. DHEA supplements, natural IVF and mild IVF treatments can help a woman with low AMH Level. These supplements and treatment options will help you solve your general problem of how to increase your anti-Mullerian hormone. For more details on the AMH Level, you can refer to this AMH Level chart by age:
|Younger than 24 months||ng/ml||Less than 5|
|24 months to 12 years||ng/ ml||Less than 10|
|13–45 years||ng/ ml||1 to 10|
|More than 45 years||ng/ ml||Less than 1|
However, these measurements may not be accurate if the woman has a deficiency of Vitamin D.
What Does Low Ovarian Reserve Mean?
Low Ovarian Reserve condition refers to a point of low fertility rate when either the number of female germ cells responsible for reproduction is low as in the case of impaired development of preantral germ cells.
What Is the Egg Fertility Test?
At the time of birth, a woman has 1-2 million egg cells. By the time she reaches her puberty, these cells reduce to 300,000. The quantity of these cells is of big concern but the quality of these egg cells also play a crucial role in determining if the woman can get pregnant or not. There are tests to check the fertility rate and some of them have been discussed below:
- The first test is done on “Day 3 of woman’s menopause cycle.”
- FSH and Estradiol Tests are done to check the present level of Follicle Stimulating Hormone and the amount of FSH her body is producing. In the case of higher FSH level, the quantity and the quality of the egg cells may be low. Estradiol test determines the Estradiol level when FSH is normal.
- Clomid Challenge test is done to test the working efficiency of the A healthy ovary has low FSH in order to produce a healthy egg. If any woman requires a higher dose of Clomid, then there are chances that egg quality or quantity may not be good enough.
What Are the Various AMH Level Tests?
- The Anti-Mullerian hormonetest basically tests the hormones produced by the ovarian follicles and is basically responsible for the generation of woman germ cells responsible for reproduction. This is a blood test done during a woman’s menopause. AMH Low level indicates some issues with the ovarian reserve.
- Ultrasound is another way of testing egg cells. The exact number ofantral follicles, which are seen during a transvaginal ultrasound, gives a clear idea of the remaining eggs in the ovary.
Does Age Matter?
Egg fertility test mainly focuses on the quality and the quantity of egg cells produced and this mainly depends on the age a woman is running in. When all other tests discussed above indicate that the quality of egg cells is poor, then the best way to check the fertility rate is to get the age of the woman. As females grow older, their hormones change and so abnormal changes in the egg cells production are seen, resulting in relatively low fertility rate. So, the best time that the women can get pregnant is between her ages of 21 to 35. After this time, complications start increasing to an uncontrolled level. As such there is no definite test to check the exact health of an egg cell, but there are some ways patented by the doctors that can help them identify the exact fertility rate of a woman. A simple blood test is sufficient enough to check the AMH Level and avoid any harsh or aggressive treatments.
IVF – A Boon for Childless Couples!
If, however, a woman has crossed her fertile age to get pregnant or having other issues in getting pregnant, then there always is the support of IVF treatments, which are getting increasingly popular these days as they are acting like a boon for childless couples.